How to Keep on Top of Technology When You Write About It -

How to Keep on Top of Technology When You Write About It

Credit: nytimes.com

• About: 8 days ago
  • 2 views

How do New York Times journalists use technology in their jobs and in their personal lives? Nick Wingfield, a technology reporter based in Seattle, discussed the tech he is using.

You cover Amazon and Microsoft. Do you use their technology?

The one technology constant in my career as a journalist seems to be Microsoft Word. I take notes for all of my stories in it on a Macbook Pro. I’ve tried Google Docs and OneNote, but can’t stick with them for reasons I can’t explain. I have a feeling I might be cremated with a copy of Microsoft Word.

Like most people, I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon, and I’ve tried most of their gadgets. I used an Echo for a while. My family mainly used it to turn on a lamp through a WeMo light switch with our voices. My kids enjoyed asking Alexa to play scatological sound effects. I enjoyed that too, if I’m being honest.

What do or don’t you like about their tech products that you use?

I find some of the things you can do on the Echo pretty silly and much easier on a smartphone app. I’ll give you an example. A while back I was installing a sprinkler system in my garden that was connected to a wireless control unit. I found out I could use the control unit with Alexa to turn on the sprinklers with my voice.

When I told Alexa to turn the sprinklers on, a geyser of water shot up six feet in the air from a pipe I hadn’t properly secured. I yelled every Alexa command I could think of to turn it off, but apparently she didn’t like my syntax, and the water kept gushing. I finally just opened the app for the sprinkler unit and turned it off. Also, most people have their sprinklers on timers so they don’t need voice control.

What are your favorite websites, apps or other tech tools for keeping on top of technology news?

I get so much of my news diet, technology or otherwise, through Twitter and, to a lesser extent, Facebook. I have configured my phone to send me a text message every time Jeff Bezos, the chief executive of Amazon, tweets because he’ll occasionally make news that way.

What tech gadgets or apps are you or your family currently obsessed with and why?

Another reason I’m not the most avid Echo user is that I like the sound from my Sonos speaker system better. Roughly 70 percent of the time I’m using Sonos to stream KCRW’s Eclectic24 music mix. The rest of the time, it’s Spotify and KUOW, my local NPR station. I pay for a Spotify family plan, which keeps my daughter’s playlists from contaminating my own and vice versa.

I am a contrarian on the Apple Watch, which I believe has been unfairly maligned by tech pundits. I love mine, and I get pretty frustrated by a lot of Apple products. I’m a runner and cyclist and track all of my workouts with it. I use Siri on the watch to respond to text messages.

Apple somehow managed to create a wearable device versatile enough that you can wear it on a run and with a suit. That’s impressive.

Are there technologies that you’re not crazy about?

I’ve never cared for reading books on screens, even though I almost exclusively read newspapers and magazines on my phone and computer.

I’m also skeptical of most kitchen gadgetry. I bought an Anova sous vide wand, which cooks meat and other proteins at precise, low temperatures in water baths. In most cases, I feel the results aren’t worth the effort. A cast iron pan is much cheaper, will never break and steaks taste better when prepared in one.

You once wrote about taking your kids to a video game little league. What video games are you, or they, now heavily into?

I don’t play videogames. My son does. I’m embarrassed to say he spent a decent chunk of the summer wasting bad guys in Call of Duty. He also read a big stack of books and is a sweet, sensitive kid, which is how he got away with it.

What’s your advice about how much or how little kids should be on their devices and on games?

This is such a difficult issue. Most of my daughter’s homework is on a computer so policing her screen time is really about limiting certain applications or websites. The other day I gave her a hard time when I heard her listening to YouTube. It was for her Spanish class.

Overall, I try to encourage personal responsibility rather than hassle my kids all the time about their devices. It has worked so far.

Related stories with How to Keep on Top of Technology When You Write About It

Bruce Straley, Director Of Uncharted 2 And The Last Of Us, Is Leaving Naughty Dog -World News
Bruce Straley, Director Of Uncharted 2 And The Last Of Us, Is Leaving Naughty Dog 8 days ago
Announced today on Twitter and the Naughty Dog blog, Bruce Straley is leaving the company. Straley is best known as the director of Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, two of the most praised games period of the last decade. Straley does not say where he is
The Virtual Life – Celebrating The Stubbornness And Complexity Of L.A. Noire -World News
The Virtual Life – Celebrating The Stubbornness And Complexity Of L.A. Noire 8 days ago
Warning: Minor Spoilers For L.A. Noire Ahead. L.A. Noire released in the summer of 2011. I was just starting to dip my toe back into video games after being away for years. My brother and I went 50/50 on a copy of Team Bondi's ambitious open-world ga
Kentucky DB Kei Beckham to leave football program after two seasons -World News
Kentucky DB Kei Beckham to leave football program after two seasons 8 days ago
Kentucky defensive back Kei Beckham’s time in Lexington is over. The 5-foot-11, 175-pound redshirt sophomore from Trotwood, Ohio, who has barely seen any action at all during his two seasons in Lexington, has announced his decision to transfer from
Kentucky football: Sophomore DB Kei Beckham to transfer -World News
Kentucky football: Sophomore DB Kei Beckham to transfer 8 days ago
Kentucky sophomore defensive back Kei Beckham is transferring, a UK spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday. Beckham, from Dayton, Ohio, played one game last season and recorded two tackles. He hadn’t played so far in 2017 and wasn’t listed on Ken
Auburn football podcast: Trent Dilfer discusses Auburn’s QBs, one with ‘NFL-type ceiling’ -World News
Auburn football podcast: Trent Dilfer discusses Auburn’s QBs, one with ‘NFL-type ceiling’ 8 days ago
Welcome to The Podcast on the Plains, SEC Country’s daily Auburn football podcast with host Zac Blackerby. An interview with Super Bowl champion Trent Dilfer is the featured content on today’s show. On episode 23, Dilfer talks about and evaluates
Sound Off: Arkansas — Putting a cap on TCU and looking toward Texas A&M -World News
Sound Off: Arkansas — Putting a cap on TCU and looking toward Texas A&M 8 days ago
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Hang in there, Arkansas fans. A couple days from now and the TCU game will be but a memory. That’s the bad thing about having a bye week. Too much time to linger on what happened last instead of looking at what comes next. We
A missed flight could have prevented Dak Prescott from being drafted by the Denver Broncos -World News
A missed flight could have prevented Dak Prescott from being drafted by the Denver Broncos 8 days ago
Dak Prescott perhaps was the steal of the 2016 NFL Draft. The Dallas Cowboys selected the former Mississippi State quarterback in the fourth round, and then Prescott stepped in for an injured Tony Romo and messed around and won Rookie of the Year. He also
Axiom Verge to launch early on Switch eShop following retail release delay -World News
Axiom Verge to launch early on Switch eShop following retail release delay 8 days ago
Oldschool metroidvania adventure Axiom Verge is coming to Switch digitally on 5th October, which is a pleasant surprise as it was previously slated for 17th October (though it was originally targeting an August launch).The reason it's been moved forward i
The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 co-director Bruce Straley departs Naughty Dog after 18 years -World News
The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 co-director Bruce Straley departs Naughty Dog after 18 years 8 days ago
The Last of Us and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End co-director Bruce Straley is departing from Naughty Dog after 18 years.Straley joined Naughty Dog in 1999 where he served as a texture artist on Crash Team Racing and an artist on Jak and Daxter: The Precursor
Clay Travis Had Some Very Cogent Thoughts on the Jemele Hill Situation 17 Months Ago -World News
Clay Travis Had Some Very Cogent Thoughts on the Jemele Hill Situation 17 Months Ago 8 days ago
Clay Travis believes believes you shouldn’t have to worry about losing your job because of your political opinion.
Josh Doctson dealing with more hamstring trouble -World News
Josh Doctson dealing with more hamstring trouble 8 days ago
When asked about Josh Doctson playing the fourth-most snaps among wide receivers in last Sunday’s loss to the Eagles, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said that Doctson has to earn more playing time after missing most of last season with an Achilles injury
Joe Thomas about to hit 10,000 consecutive snaps -World News
Joe Thomas about to hit 10,000 consecutive snaps 8 days ago
Joe Thomas long ago earned the title of NFL Iron Man. He has never missed a game since the Browns made him the third overall pick in 2007. In fact, the left tackle has never missed a play in starting all 161 games. He has played 9,996 consecutive snaps, b