#SwagatShinzoSan PM @narendramodi breaks protocol to receive PM @AbeShinzo in Ahmedabad for 12th... https://t.co/yRLUF40bww— Raveesh Kumar (@MEAIndia) 1505298816000
2. The Japanese Prime Minister, who is accompanied by his wife Akie Abe, was given a ceremonial reception on his arrival at the airpport. He was presented a guard of honour, after which artistes performed a traditional Gujarati dance showcasing the state's rich cultural traditions.
3. Immediately after the welcome ceremony, Abe, his wife, and PM Modi set-off on an 8-km roadshow in an open-roof jeep for the famed Sabarmati Ashram, where Mahatma Gandhi spent a considerable time of his life.
4. Abe, who was in a formal suit when he arrived at the Ahmedabad airport, wore kurta-pyjama and a blue Nehru jacket while his wife Akie donned a red salwar-kameez ahead of the grand roadshow.
5. The two leaders and the Japanese first lady waved to the crowds which lined the streets of Ahmedabad, all the way to the Ashram. This is the first time that PM Modi has held a joint road show with a visiting head of government of a foreign country.
Enthralling performances and cordial welcome as PM @narendramodi & PM @AbeShinzo drive in Ahmedabad pic.twitter.com/0tSy6ARv33— Raveesh Kumar (@MEAIndia) September 13, 2017
6. At the Sabarmati Ashram, Abe and his wife paid their tributes to Mahatma Gandhi. PM Modi was seen explaining to the visiting dignitaries the significance of the spinning wheel, which became emblematic of India's quest for self-reliance during its non- violent struggle for freedom from imperial rule.
7. The two leaders then took a stroll along the Sabarmati Riverfront, before settling on a bench by the riverside for several minutes of light and easy conversation.
Japanese PM Shinzo Abe and PM Narendra Modi at Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad. https://t.co/GwPAToDwfR— ANI (@ANI) 1505301660000
8. PM Modi presented the couple with a statue of the 'Three Wise Monkeys' which embodies the proverb "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil." The Japanese Prime Minister and his wife also signed the visitor's book at Sabarmati Ashram.
Ahmedabad: Japanese PM Shinzo Abe & his wife Akie Abe sign the visitor's book at Sabarmati Ashram. https://t.co/QG3ifIzz7v— ANI (@ANI) 1505301852000
9. They then headed to Sidi Saiyyid Ni Jaali, the famous 16th century mosque in Ahmedabad. PM Modi took Abe and his wife on a tour of the ancient historic mosque and elaborated on its rich heritage and architecture.
PM Modi, Japanese PM Shinzo Abe & his wife Akie Abe at 'Sidi Saiyyid Ni Jaali', the famous 16th century mosque in A... https://t.co/7O5pNUrf0T— ANI (@ANI) 1505307187000
10. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has a packed agenda over the next two days of his visit, which includes the laying of foundation stone for India's first bullet train project between Ahmedabad and Mumbai. The two leaders will hold the 12th Indo-Japan annual Summit meeting at Gandhinagar after which agreements will be exchanged. Later, an India-Japan business plenary meeting will be held.