Tennessee Softball NCAA Regional: 7 things to know about Lady Vols
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee softball is aiming for its 8th Women’s College World Series appearance, and if history is an indicator the Lady Vols will get there.
Tennessee opened NCAA Softball Tournament play on Friday night with a 5-0 win over Longwood (Va.) and plays 3-time defending Atlanta Sun Conference champs USC-Upstate at noon Saturday.
Related: Tennessee chops Longwood, advances in NCAA Softball tourney
The Lady Vols are the tourney’s No. 8 overall seed and should they win the Knoxville regional will face the winner of the Texas A&M regional next week in Knoxville.
This marks the sixth time Tennessee has been seeded 8th or higher, and on each of the previous five occasions (2006, 2007, 2012, 2013 and 2015) it has advanced to the WCWS.
It’s 4-0! Vols on top after a bomb by Meghan Gregg! #NCAASoftball pic.twitter.com/7SiOB1Xa3C
— NCAA Softball (@NCAAsoftball) May 20, 2017
Tennessee softball things to know
• SEC Player of the Year Meghan Greeg has 73 RBIs this season, four short of tying the school’s single-season mark of 77 set by Kristi Durant in 2005.
• Tennessee has played 100 NCAA Softball Tournament games in its history, and it’s now 67-33. Of those wins, 66 have come during the 16-year era of co-head coaches Ralph and Karen Weekly.
• The Lady Vols are 37-13 in NCAA Softball Tournament Regional games all-time and 35-9 in the NCAA regional games played in Knoxville.
• The Lady Vols are making their 14th consecutive NCAA Softball Regional appearance.
• With Friday night’s win, Tennessee improved to 37-0 when leading after four innings and 29-1 when scoring in the first inning.
• Today’s game between the Lady Vols and USC-Upstate marks the first softball meeting between the schools.
• The Spartans have won 9 consecutive games including Friday’s come-from-behind 7-3 win over Big Ten heavy Ohio State at Lee Stadium.
USC-Upstate’s seniors have had fun of late, winning 9 in a row including their third-straight Atlantic Sun Conference title. Photo courtesy UPStateSpartans.com
The post Tennessee Softball NCAA Regional: 7 things to know about Lady Vols appeared first on SEC Country.